Monday, August 22, 2022

EPIC JOURNEY Book Lover destinations: Seattle Public Library & Birchbark Books Minneapolis Minnesota

 At the end of June I was called away from my life as I know it, for a month, to go on a epic personal journey. These are some photos from that trip. I can't keep them all just on my phone and I'm running out of space on my google drive, so this is the best place to put them.

This is the Seattle Public Library, the main branch in downtown Seattle, designed by architect Rem Koolhaas. I went there to spend some time working on my book.

 












These are a few more pictures from the Bellville neighborhood in downtown Seattle and a view from the world's longest staircase, the Howe Street Stairs. I was particularly taken by the cistern stair garden, and this shih tzu with an impressive mustache,  probably the most impressive examples of espalier in the Madison Beach neighborhood, and a picture my friend took of Zensu & me on walk around the lake at the U of W.










BirchBark Books in a quiet historic suburb of Minneapolis Minnesota is a place I've wanted to go for years. I love visiting independent book stores, and this one is very special. Owner Louis Erdrich, a renown author and enrolled member of the Turtle Mountain Band of the Chippewa, and her bookstore is devoted particularly to indigenous writers and subject matter. It is a beautiful place, and on the afternoon I went to shop there were groups of native kids running in and out of the shop like it was their living room while taking breaks from their basketball game across the street at the community center. There is a hidden beach close by too.









No comments:

Post a Comment